Monday, August 18, 2008

Mean Girls, Mean Girls, What Ya Gonna Do?

Miss M has encountered a Mean Girl.

You know the type. Smile at your face, stab you in the back. Do what I say - or it's lights out!

I knew it was coming. She is, after all, 10 years old. Going into 5th Grade.

And (mean) girls will be (mean) girls.

This girl got in my daughter's face, and told her she was going to punch her lights out if Miss M doesn't "hang" with her at cheerleading.

Miss M only told me this week because cheerleading starts and she doesn't want to cheer all of a sudden. When I asked why, I got the story.


This girl asked Miss M if she was cheering again. Miss M said "Yeah". So this girl says to M, "Well, you better hang with me at cheerleading, and not ....(another girl)....or I will punch you in the face." (so not in a kidding voice - according to Miss M) And then walks away.


Now, Miss M has cheered for three years. She loves being allowed to yell, and jump, and - even better - climb up onto someone else and jump off of them!! (That's for another story)

So her not wanting to cheer bothers me.

But more importantly - having someone bully my daughter - in any way, shape or form- is so not okay with me.

I have talked with Miss M and told her to tell this girl "I don't answer to you. I answer to my parents, and God"

But Miss M is still afraid. What if this girl punches her?

What do I tell her? "Let her hit you, she will get in trouble."

(Yes, I know that's what I should tell her.)

But - and this is the mama lion in me - I want to tell my daughter - hit her right back.

Stand up for yourself. (Really, if I ever see this bully hit my daughter - someone better hold me back)

I know Miss M wouldn't hit this girl.

(Neither would I. But the parents better watch out)

Miss M will cheer. I talked with the cheerleading coach who will keep the two separated. (last year they stood side by side - same height)

That has made Miss M feel better.

I have also told her again..."No one can tell you to do something you don't want to do. You have the power to control your actions. You must listen to your parents, teacher, and God."

Then - in some light of wisdom from above - I told Miss M, if she gets in your face - be the bigger person.

Tell her - "You cannot tell me what to do. I am tired of you getting in my face. Leave me alone"

And walk away.

Now I need to remember to be the bigger person, and let Miss M fight her own fight.

Til next time, I'll still be



Being Brenda




No comments: